• Narrow screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Auto width resolution
  • Increase font size
  • Decrease font size
  • Default font size
  • default color
  • red color
  • green color

World Council for the Cedars Revolution

Aug 12th
Home arrow News Content arrow Blog arrow Blog Items arrow Extremism In Lebanon arrow Chronology Lebanon - Since 2004 to Present
Chronology Lebanon - Since 2004 to Present PDF Print E-mail
Written by NowLebanon, Reuters, CRNews   
Friday, 07 December 2007

Cedars Revolution
Cedars Revolution

Key facts related to the situation on the ground in Lebanon. This timeline does not go into detail on the War that is being waged on Lebanon by Extremists and their Supporters.



Tuesday, August 26:  Syrian President Bashar al-Assad called then-Prime Minister Rafik Hariri to Damascus, allegedly to pressure Hariri to back the forthcoming extension of President Emile Lahoud’s mandate by another three years.  

Though exactly what was discussed in this meeting remains something of a mystery, the FitzGerald Report, released on March 24, 2005, made the following statement:

Mr. Hariri reminded Mr. Assad of his pledge not to seek an extension for Mr. Lahoud’s term, and Mr. Assad replied that there was a policy shift and that the decision was already taken. He added that Mr. Lahoud should be viewed as his personal representative in Lebanon and that “opposing him is tantamount to opposing Assad himself”. He then added that he (Mr. Assad) “would rather break Lebanon over the heads of [Mr.] Hariri and [Druze leader Walid] Jumblatt than see his word in Lebanon broken”. According to the testimonies, Mr. Assad then threatened both Mr. Hariri and Mr. Jumblatt with physical harm if they opposed the extension for Mr. Lahoud.

Tursday, September 2:  The UN Security Council passed Resolution 1559, originally proposed by France and the United States, as Lebanese legislators prepared to vote on a controversial constitutional change demanded by Syria to permit pro-Syrian President Emile Lahoud, set to leave office November 24, to remain in office for another three years.

The resolution said that upcoming Lebanese presidential elections should be "free and fair elections according to Lebanese constitutional rules devised without foreign interference or influence."

Friday, September 3:  Under Syrian pressure, the Lebanese parliament voted to extend President Emile Lahoud’s mandate by another three years.  Many Lebanese and much of the international community criticized this decision. 

Tuesday, September 7: Minister of Economics Marwan Hamade, Minister of Culture Ghazi Aridi, Minister of Refugee Affairs Abdullah Farhat and Minister of the Environment Fares Boueiz resigned from the Cabinet to protest Syrian interference and the constitutional amendment extending the presidential mandate of Emile Lahoud.

Friday, October 1: Marwan Hamade, former Minister of Economics and the current Minister of Telecommunications, was wounded and his bodyguard killed in a car bomb in Beirut near the minister's residence and the German Cultural Center.  In addition, four pedestrians were injured. 

Monday, October 4: Prime Minister Rafik Hariri presented his resignation to President Emile Lahoud, who at first refused to accept it.

Wednesday, October 20:  President Emile Lahoud accepted Hariri’s resignation.  Hariri subsequently declined to form a new government, and with Jumblatt and Qornet Schewan, formed the so-called “Bristol Gathering” (named after the Beirut hotel in Hamra) to prepare for upcoming parliamentary elections.

Omar Karami, prime minister of Lebanon from 1990 to 1992, replaced Hariri at Lahoud’s invitation and subsequently formed a pro-Syrian government.


Sunday, February 13: International Warning to Syria Against Murdering Hariri or Jumblat [ LINK ]

Monday, February 14:  Former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri and 22 other people were killed in a massive truck bomb blast in front of the St. George Hotel on the Beirut seafront. 

Hariri, who was born to a poor farmer but rose to become one of the world's 100 richest people, headed five governments from 1992. But he later became a thorn in the side of Beirut's political masters in Damascus and resigned as premier in October 2004 after disputes with pro-Syrian President Emile Lahoud.

Anti-Syrian opposition leaders demanded a three-day general strike, the resignation of the government and a Syrian troop withdrawal, saying it held the regimes in Beirut and Damascus responsible.  Syria was nevertheless among the first to condemn the attack. "This odious crime is aimed at striking Lebanese national unity and civil peace," Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said.

State-run television said more than 1,000 kilograms (1.1 tons) of TNT were used in the bombing, bringing down concrete walls, leaving a dozen flaming cars and gouging a crater several meters deep into the road.

Islamist group An-Nosra wal Jihad fi Bilad al-Sham (Victory and Jihad in Greater Syria) claimed responsibility for the bombing and warned of further attacks on "infidels." This claim, however, was later called into question by the UN investigation into Hariri’s assassination.

Wednesday, February 16:  Hundreds of thousands of people paid their final respects to Hariri, who was buried near a mosque in central Beirut's Martyrs Square two days after the huge explosion demolished his motorcade.

The Hariri family, amid accusations that Lebanese authorities and their political masters in Syria were involved -- charges strongly denied by Damascus -- snubbed the government's offer of a state funeral.

Saturday, February 19: More than 2,000 Lebanese demonstrated outside parliament, calling for the pullout of Syrian troops and the ousting of the pro-Syrian government in Lebanon.

They vowed to continue their protests until those who killed Hariri were found.

Friday, February 25:  The three-member UN fact-finding mission into Hariri’s assassination arrived in Beirut headed by Irish deputy commissioner Peter FitzGerald.

Monday, February 28:  Karami’s cabinet, formed to replace Hariri’s cabinet in October 2004, resigned in response to protests. This also followed a day of a highly controversial parliamentary debate over the course of investigation into Hariri’s death.

Tuesday, March 8:  A mass rally expressing support for Syria and rejecting Resolution 1559, was held to defend the resistance, its mission and its arms. The crowd, estimated at over 400,000 people swarmed into Beirut, led by Hezbollah.

Monday, March 14: Another mass rally, this one in response to the Hezbollah-led, pro-Syrian rally of March 8, drew more than a million Lebanese and called for Lebanon's "independence" from Damascus. Lebanese travelled from all over the country to Martyrs Square and to the grave of Rafik Hariri.

Saturday, March 19: An explosion in New Jdeidah, a Christian suburb of Beirut, injured eight and caused extensive damage.

Wednesday, March 23:  An explosion in a shopping center in Kaslik killed three people and injured another three, when an 80-kilogram (176-pound) device exploded, some 20 km north of Beirut.

Thursday, March 24: Peter FitzGerald submitted his Report of the Fact-Finding Mission to Lebanon investigating the causes, circumstances and consequences of Hariri’s assassination to the president of the Security Council.  The document is oftentimes referred to as the “FitzGerald Report.”

Saturday, March 26:  An explosion in Sad al-Bouchrieh killed two and injured many more, setting much of the neighborhood ablaze. 

Friday, April 1: An explosion rocked the underground parking garage of the Rizk shopping and residential complex in the mountain resort of Brumana 20 km east of Beirut. Five people were wounded.

Thursday, April 7: UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1595 to set up an international inquiry into the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

The investigation would be made up of 15 teams of experts, each with an interpreter and security guards.
The resolution called on Lebanon to provide full cooperation to the commission, including free access to documentary, witness and physical evidence. The Beirut government said it would work with the commission. The resolution also called on all states -- without naming any -- to provide any relevant information about the attack.

The resolution, with the United States, Britain and France as lead sponsors, was adopted unanimously. Five other countries signed on as co-sponsors ahead of the vote.

Tuesday, April 26: Syrian troops withdrew from Lebanon, ending a 29-year military presence. Syria's domination over the past three decades, however, had been so painful to the Lebanese that many remained distrustful of the idea that Damascus could ever end its interference.

Damascus had argued for months that it would not heed UN Security Council Resolution 1559, which called for the departure of all foreign troops from Lebanon, but Syria finally rushed its pullout under intense international pressure and huge protests in Lebanon.

Friday, May 6: An explosion in the resort town of Jounieh killed one person and injured six.  The explosion caused serious damage to the Mar Yuhanna Church in the town center and to the Christian religious radio station Sawt al-Mahaba.

Saturday, May 7: General Michel Aoun returned to Lebanon after a 15-year exile. Aoun, 70, had been whisked out of the back door of the French Embassy in Beirut at dawn on August 29, 1991, in an operation dubbed "Hortensia," and put on a French navy ship that took him to France.

A former army commander, Aoun headed a transitional military government during the dark, final days of Lebanon's 1975-1990 civil war, determined to root out Syrian military presence from the country and restore law and order. The no-nonsense soldier-turned-politician now claimed that his actions during his French exile helped turn Lebanon's political tide when the last Syrian soldier quit the country in April 2006. "I am the grandfather, the father and the son of the opposition," he told the Lebanese television station LBC on the eve of his return in a four-hour interview broadcast live from Paris.

During the civil war, Aoun commanded army units that fought bitterly against the Syrian army and the pro-Syrian Lebanese Druze militia, and he even challenged the rule of the once-powerful Lebanese Forces Christian combatants.

Thursday, May 26: Following the “FitzGerald Report,” the UN Security Council’s International Independent Investigation Commission (UNIIIC) head Detlev Mehlis arrived in Beirut to set up the apparatus it needed.

Monday, May 30: The first round of parliamentary elections was held in Lebanon.  The Rafik Hariri Martyr List – a coalition of Saad Hariri’s Future Movement, Walid Jumblatt’s Progressive Socialist Party (PSP), and the Qornet Schewan Gathering – won the majority of seats in parliament.  The Rafik Hariri Martyr List announced that the slain premier’s second son, Saad Hariri, would act as the parliament majority leader.

Thursday, June 2:  Samir Kassir, a prominent anti-Syrian journalist, was killed in a car bomb in Beirut. The attack was blamed on the pro-Syrian regime and widely condemned in Lebanon and abroad.

Saturday, June 11: Official contact was made between the Commission and the Syrian government. Mehlis sent a letter to then-Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa requesting a meeting with representatives of the Syrian government.

Monday, June 13: The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was set up between the Lebanese government and the Commission. Of particular importance to the Commission was the agreement that “the government of Lebanon shall guarantee that the Commission is free from interference in the conduct of its investigation, and is provided with all necessary assistance to fulfill its mandate.” The Commission was to determine its own procedures; collect evidence, both documentary and physical; meet and interview any civilians or/and officials it deemed necessary; and have unrestricted access to all premises throughout the Lebanese territory, taking into account Lebanese law and judicial procedures.
Thursday, June 16: The UN Secretary-General declared the Commission operational.

Tuesday, June 21:  George Hawi was killed in Beirut in a car bomb. Hawi supported the Democratic Left Movement (DLM) that was co-founded by assassinated journalist Samir Kassir.

Thursday, June 30: Pro-Damascus President Emile Lahoud agreed to designate 62-year-old Siniora, a close ally of Rafik Hariri, after all but two MPs nominated him for the prime minister's post.

Monday, July 11: Syrian Foreign Minister Sharaa replied to the Commissioner’s letter from June 11, pledging the Syrian government’s support for the investigation in general terms.

Tuesday, July 12: An explosion killed at least two and injured nine others. However, pro-Syrian Defense Minister Elias Murr, thought to be the bomb’s target, survived with light wounds.

Many blamed Syria for the attempted assassination, saying that the Syrian regime feared that Murr was planning to reveal information that might implicate high-ranking Syrian officials in the assassination of Rafik Hariri. Murr had also become increasingly critical about allegations that Iran’s Revolutionary Guards were training with Hezbollah forces in the South.

Tuesday, July 19: Siniora announced the formation of a 24-member government including, for the first time, Hezbollah.

The Commission requested to interview several witnesses from Syria, including the president.

Friday, July 22: An explosion wounded three people in central Beirut, just hours after a surprise visit by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. She had pledged her support for a "new Lebanon" ushered in by Syria's April troop pullout.

An explosion near Monot, a small street popular with weekend revelers located on the fringes of Achrafieh, caused damage to cars, but no injury or loss of life was recorded.

Friday, July 29: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1614, “reiterating its strong support for the territorial integrity, sovereignty and political independence of Lebanon within its internationally recognized boundaries and under the sole and exclusive authority of the Government of Lebanon.”

Monday, August 22: An explosion just north of Beirut injured three people.

Tuesday, August 30:  The head of Lebanon's presidential guard, Mustafa Hamdan, turned himself in to the headquarters of the UN Commission after a Lebanese arrest warrant was issued against him.  This followed the arrest of three others implicated in the assassination of Rafik Hariri: General Security chief Jamil al-Sayyed, ex-Military Intelligence chief Raymond Azar and former Internal Security chief Ali al-Hajj. The Commission repeated requests to the Syrian Foreign Minister to interview several additional witness and suspects in Syria.

Wednesday, September 7: The Syrian Foreign Ministry agreed to hand over the persons listed for interviewing by the Commission on July 19 and August 30, except for President Assad.

Friday, September 16: An explosion in Geitaoui in southeastern Beirut killed one person and injured 22 others.

Tuesday, September 20: Interviews of the Syrian suspects began by the UN Commission. The interviews were conducted in Syria at the insistence of the Syrian government. At the end of the interview process, it was apparent that the interviewees had given uniform answers to questions. Many of those answers were contradicted by the weight of evidence collected by the Commission from a variety of other sources.

Sunday, September 25: An explosion seriously wounded May Chidiac, 42, a prominent Lebanese television journalist and critic of Syria's role in her country, when her car was blown up in Jounieh, on the northern outskirts of Beirut.

Wednesday, October 12: Syria's former strongman in Lebanon, Ghazi Kanaan, who was questioned over Rafik Hariri's assassination, committed suicide in his Damascus office.

Kanaan’s death came after a UN team probing the assassination interviewed the 63-year-old interior minister and a number of other top Syrian figures implicated in the case. It also came just two weeks before the UN probe was due to release a report on its findings, the Mehlis Report.

Thursday, October 20: The Mehlis Report concluded that senior Syrian officials were most likely implicated in Hariri's murder. Upon the request of the Lebanese government, the Security Council agreed to extend the mandate of the Commission until December 15. 

Monday, October 31: UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1636, “Calling upon all states to extend to the Lebanese authorities and to the Commission [investigating Hariri’s murder] the assistance they may need and request in connection with the inquiry, and in particular to provide them with all relevant information they may possess pertaining to this terrorist act.”

Monday, December 12:  Gibran Tueni, a Lebanese Christian MP and prominent newspaper columnist for An-Nahar was assassinated. He was a vocal anti-Syrian figure, impassioned advocate of his country's independence and close to the Hariri family.

Tueni is widely seen as having set the tone against Syrian control over Lebanon in an editorial published in an-Nahar in March 2000 that made the unprecedented, blunt request for Syria to end its domination.

Tuesday, December 13: The second Mehlis report was submitted, reinforcing the conclusion of the first report citing Syrian reluctance and procrastination in its cooperation with the Commission. The report did note however, that Syria had made available five of its officers for questioning by the Commission.

Thursday, December 15: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1644, extending the mandate of the investigation into the Hariri killing and acknowledging the request of the Lebanese government to try those implicated in the assassination.


Monday, January 16: The head of the UN Commission, Detlev Mehlis, met in Vienna with two Syrian intelligence officials.

Tuesday, January 31: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1655, “urging the Lebanese government to do more to assert its authority in the South,” condemning violations of the Blue Line, and reiterating Resolution 1644 of December 2005 and Resolution 1636 of October 2005.

Thursday, February 23: New head of the UN investigative Commission, Serge Brammertz, visited Damascus where he met Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Mouallem, who shortly thereafter, on March 4, announced that Syria would cooperate fully with the UN investigation. The Commission was again extended for another six months.

Tuesday, March 14: Serge Brammertz submitted the Third Report of the United Nations International Independent Investigation Commission to the president of the Security Council.

Wednesday, March 29: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1664, expressing its continued support for the investigation into Hariri’s assassination.

Wednesday, May 17: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1680, once again reiterating its wish that Resolution 1559 of April 2005 be completely implemented.

Saturday, June 10: Serge Brammertz submitted the Fourth Report of the United National International Independent Investigation Commission to the president of the Security Council.

Thursday, June 15: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1686, commending the Commission for its “outstanding professional work” and once again extending its mandate.

Wednesday, July 12: Hezbollah's capture of two Israeli soldiers sparked a month-long conflict which killed more than 1,200 people in Lebanon, mostly civilians, and about 160 Israelis, most of them soldiers.

Monday, July 31: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1697, expressing its concern at “the escalation of hostilities in Lebanon,” and urging “all concerned parties to abide scrupulously by their obligation to respect the safety of UNIFIL and other United Nations personnel.”

Friday, August 11: The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1701, “Emphasizing the need for an end of violence, but at the same time emphasizing the need to address urgently the causes that have given rise to the current crisis, including the unconditional release of the abducted Israeli soldiers.”

Monday, August 14: A ceasefire took effect following the August 11 UN resolution calling for the strengthening of the UNIFIL peacekeeping force.

Monday, September 25:  Serge Brammertz submitted the Fifth Report of the United National International Independent Investigation Commission to the president of the Security Council.

Sunday, October 1: Israel withdrew its remaining soldiers from South Lebanon, as the Lebanese army deployed along the border for the first time in decades.

Sunday, November 12: All six pro-Syrian ministers quit the government, and Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah demanded new elections or veto power for his followers in government.

Tuesday, November 21: Industry Minister Pierre Gemayel was gunned down just outside Beirut. Security sources said that his car was rammed from the front and that gunmen stepped out and shot him point-blank in the head, in a gangland-style killing.

Thursday, November 23: March 14 leaders lashed out at Syria in fiery addresses to huge crowds gathered for the funeral of the slain Pierre Gemayel.

After paying their respects to the latest victim of assassination in Lebanon, Druze leader Walid Jumblatt and Sunni leader Saad Hariri, speaking from behind a bullet-proof glass screen, railed against Syrian meddling in Lebanese affairs.

Friday, December 1: Hundreds of thousands of opposition protesters, led by the pro-Syrian militant group Hezbollah, staged a massive show of force in downtown Beirut aimed at pressing the government of Prime Minister Fouad Siniora to resign.

That evening, Siniora went on television to vow that his cabinet would fight the return of any “foreign tutelage” over the country.

Tuesday, December 12: Serge Brammertz submitted the Sixth Report of the United National International Independent Investigation Commission to the president of the Security Council.


Tuesday, January 23:  Protestors in Lebanon's pro-Syrian opposition paralyzed the country with a nationwide strike, blocking roads, setting tires ablaze and, in some cases, firing on pro-government supporters who tried to break the strikes.  Police stated three were killed in the clashes, and 58 people were wounded.

Militants blocked main roads, cutting access to Beirut airport, in an escalation of the protests beginning December 1 that had crippled the administration of Prime Minister Fouad Siniora for weeks.

Thursday, January 25:  The Lebanese army declared an overnight curfew in Beirut after rival Sunni and Shia factons fought street battles that left three people dead and 152 wounded.

The chaos overshadowed an international aid meeting for Lebanon in Paris where donors pledged more than $7.6 billion to bolster the Western-backed government and help the country recover from war.

Tuesday, February 6: The UN endorsed the Lebanese government's plans for an international tribunal to try Hariri's assassins.

Tuesday, February 13: Two explosions within minutes of each other in the Christian suburb of Ain Alaq killed three on the eve of demonstrations commemorating the second anniversary of the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.  The bombings were widely blamed on the radical Sunni group Fatah al-Islam operating out of the Palestinian refugee camp of Nahr al-Bared in North Lebanon.

Thursday, March 15: Serge Brammertz submitted the Seventh Report of the United National International Independent Investigation Commission to the president of the Security Council. In the report, Brammertz requested an extension of the mandate of the Commission, which was due to expire in June 2007.

Tuesday, March 27: The mandate of the UN Commission into the Hariri murder was extended until June 2008.

Saturday, May 19: Gunmen made off with $125,000 in a robbery of BankMed in the town of Amioun in northern Lebanon.

Sunday, May 20: Clashes flared up when Lebanese authorities conducted a dawn raid on an apartment known to be a Fatah al-Islam hideout in Tripoli, looking for suspects in the May 19 bank robbery.  The day’s violence resulted in the death of at least 27 Lebanese soldiers, 15 Fatah al-Islam militants and 15 civilians.

Syria closed two northern border crossings in response to the fighting.

An explosion in a parking lot adjacent to the ABC mall in Achrafieh killed one woman and left 11 wounded.

Monday, May 21: As the mainstream Palestinian organization Fatah attempted to negotiate a ceasefire, the Lebanese army shelled Fatah al-Islam positions within Nahr al-Bared.  Fatah al-Islam spokesman Abu Salim Taha responded to the attacks by threatening to “carry the battle outside the city of Tripoli.”

Syria denied any ties with Fatah al-Islam, and linked the clashes to the imminent creation of a UN tribunal to try suspects in the 2005 assassination Rafik Hariri.  Washington expressed its support for the Lebanese army, and called Fatah al-Islam a “terrorist” group.  UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon said he is “gravely concerned” about the fighting. 

Another bomb exploded in Verdun, a shopping area in Beirut, wounding seven people.

Wednesday, May 23: A third bomb in four nights exploded in the mountain town of Aley, injuring sixteen.

Friday, May 25:  In a televised speech, Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah announced his opposition to the Lebanese army entering Nahr al-Bared, calling the action a “red line.” 

Saturday, May 26:  Pro-government Druze leader Walid Jumblatt accused Fatah al-Islam of being a “Syrian gang,” unleashed on Lebanon to prevent the establishment of an international tribunal.

Wednesday, May 30:  The UN Security Council voted to pass Resolution 1757, establishing an international tribunal to try suspects in the Hariri murder.  The vote passed unanimously, but Russia, China, Qatar, Indonesia and South Africa abstained, insisting the tribunal as outlined in 1757 would do nothing to help resolve the political deadlock facing Lebanon.

The legally-binding resolution set June 10 as the date for the entry into force of an agreement between the United Nations and the Western-backed Beirut government to establish the court.

Friday, June 1: The Lebanese army seized Fatah al-Islam positions at the entrance of Nahr al-Bared.  Additional armored vehicles were brought closer to the camp’s entrance, and the army fired shells into Nahr al-Bared.
Three Lebanese soldiers were killed during the day’s fighting.  The death toll from the 13-day conflict rose to 83.

Monday, June 4: Violent clashes continued through the early morning in Ain al-Hilweh, as Palestinian factions worked with Lebanese authorities to try to end the confrontation. Fatah deployed police around the camps entrances, and the army boosted security in the greater Saida area, where many shops and schools remained closed.

The intensity of fighting decreased in both the North and the South, possibly to give mainstream Palestinian factions time to broker a settlement.

Alawi MP Mustafa Ali al-Hussein, a member of the Mustaqbal parliamentary bloc, announced his defection from the March 14 camp.

An explosion at 8 p.m. occurred near an empty passenger bus in Sad al-Bouchrieh, a Christian suburb of Beirut, wounding 10.

Wednesday, June 6:  Police reported that a small bomb was defused on a road leading to popular beaches in the southern port city of Tyre. The army seized a truckload of weapons coming from Syria, intended for use in new battle fronts to ease pressure on Fatah al-Islam in Nahr al-Bared.

Sunday, June 10: The International Tribunal came into force automatically as time expired for the Lebanese to make their own compromise, Justice Minister Charles Rizk said in a statement.

Both pro-government and opposition groups, organizations and speakers came together in Tripoli’s municipal stadium to rally in support of Lebanon’s army, calling for the immediate surrender of Fatah al-Islam.

Wednesday, June 13: MP Walid Eido, an anti-Syrian MP who was part of the March 14 alliance, was assassinated. A bomb targeted his car near Beirut’s popular sea front in the western part of the city. Also killed was Khalid Eido, the MP’s son, two of his body guards and six civilians.

Monday, June 16: The 100th soldier died in the Nahr al-Bared conflict.

Thursday, July 12: Serge Brammertz submitted the Eighth Report of the United National International Independent Investigation Commission to the President of the Secuirty Council. In this report it was noted that preparations had begun to hand over the Commission to the Tribunal.
Sunday, September 2: The army announced that it had gained full control of Nahr al-Bared. Siniora declared victory and reiterated that the camp would be rebuilt so that the Palestinian refugees could return. Total casualties for the army reached 160, with 500-600 more soldiers in hospital recovering from injuries and permanently disabled.

Tuesday, September 4: Street parties occurred throughout Lebanon to celebrate the army’s victory at Nahr al-Bared. Defense Minister Michel Murr stated that the army had killed 222 Fatah al-Islam militants and captured another 202. Murr also announced that the official army death toll stood at 163.

Monday, September 10: Lebanon’s attorney general announced that the body thought to be Shaker al-Abssi was that of someone else, as a DNA test conducted on the body did not match that of his relatives. Abssi was assumed to be on the run.   

Wednesday, September 19: Anti-Syrian Kataeb MP Antoine Ghanem was assassinated. A large car bomb exploded in Sin al-Fil, East Beirut, also killing six others and injuring 70. This occurred just six days before the first round of the presidential elections.

Tuesday, September 25: Parliament was opened and quickly shut, as Nabih Berri adjourned the session until October 23 due to the absence of a two-thirds quorum.  Opposition MPs boycotted the session because a “consensus” candidate had not been agreed upon.

Monday, October 22: Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri announced the delay of the special session to elect a president from October 23 to November 12. November 24 is the final deadline for electing a president within the constitutional deadline.    

Nov. 10 - Parliament postpones a presidential election from Nov. 12 to Nov. 21 in a bid to break a deadlock over a consensus candidate and end the political crisis. France leads mediation efforts to reach agreement on a presidential candidate.

Nov. 20 - Lebanese army tightens security in Beirut as parliament session to elect a successor to Lahoud delayed for two days to Nov. 23.

Nov 23 - Parliament postpones vote again after rival leaders failed to agree on candidate. New session set for Nov. 30. Lahoud leaves presidential palace by midnight.

Nov. 23 - Lahoud leaves presidential palace by midnight with no successor elected.

Nov. 24 - Siniora says his cabinet is assuming executive powers in the absence of a president.

Dec 5 - Speaker Berri says rival Lebanese leaders had agreed on General Michel Suleiman as president even if parliament has yet to elect him.

Dec 7 - Berri postpones parliament session to elect Suleiman to Dec. 11 to give more time to rivals to agree on a broad political agreement.

Dec 7 - Lebanon's presidential election has been delayed for four days to Dec. 11, the parliament speaker said on Friday.


Last Updated ( Friday, 07 December 2007 )
< Prev   Next >

In Memory

Rafik Hariri
Rafik HaririIn Memory of Rafik Hariri, he rebuilt Beirut, at the time of his brutal Assassination Lebanon witnessed the birth of the Cedars Revolution
Gebran Tueni
Gebran TueniIn Memory of Gebran Tueni One of the most Prominent founders of the Cedars Revolution
Sheikh Pierre Gemayel
Sheikh Pierre GemayelIn Memory of Sheikh Pierre Gemayel Another Prominent founder of the Cedars Revolution
George Hawi
George HawiIn Memory of George Hawi another Anti-Syrian who supported the formation of the Cedars Revolution